The 2021 Writing Tournament is now closed. Sign up to the newsletter for updates on the 2022 Tournament.
By entering you agree to having read and understood the guidelines and terms & conditions on this page.
Two age categories: 8-12 & 13-16
Max word count: 500 words
Theme: Border Reivers. Be creative. Write in any genre or style.
ROUNDS & DATES (Judging panel reserve the right to tweak these if required)
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE 28TH SEPTEMBER 2021
Round One — 31st October – Long list announced
Round Two — 15th November – Short list announced. Short list goes to editor.
Editorial suggestions returned — 1st December – Stories returned for re-write.
Re-write due — 15th December. Sent to finalist judges.
Winners announced — 14th January 2022
Anthology published – Hawick Reivers Festival, March 2022 – Date TBC
E-copy and paper copy publication – W.J. KITE publication prizes will vary
Terms & Conditions
- By submitting using the Writing Tournament form you agree to the following:
- A maximum one entry per month, per person, is allowed.
- Full names of entrants will not be used for promotional material without prior consent of parent/guardian.
- Stories must be in English.
- Entries without a completed entry form will not be deemed eligible.
- Age of entrants are 8-16.
- Entries must be submitted by a parent/guardian.
- Mentorship must be provided only in terms of assistance with seeding of ideas, story structure and final proofing.
- Receipt of entry will be acknowledged via email.
- By entering the tournament you agree to the stories being used as per the prize structure outlined on website.
- Entrants will join the newsletter mailing list for tournament updates and updates on judges, the editor and W.J. Kite
The winning and shortlisted entrant’s work will be published in the Writing Tournament anthology and any entry may be read out on the Youtube channel. Parents/guardians will be notified regarding a Youtube reading.
PUBLIC USE OF ENTRIES
By entering this competition you acknowledge that your name, entry and submitted information, in relation to the award, may be used in “Writing Tournament by W.J. Kite” publications, and for future promotion of the competition.